Quantity over Quality; let your thoughts free. Who can make as many associations as possible to a term (catchword) within a limited amount of time.
DurationShort (up to 30 minutes)
Group size:3 to 30 persons
Catchwords attract attention and stimulate the recipient's mental processes that call for emotional reactions and associations. The catchword-method activates creative processes by generating random terms. It enables casual association and the ability to make new associations. The method uses time pressure and a playful contest between the participants, to help them overcome critical thinking and to foster their ability to make spontaneous and free associations. To do so, you name a catchword and let the participants write down as many terms as they can think of, within 30 seconds.
- Choose 3-5 catchwords that fit to the topic of the workshop.
- Make sure to have a timer, or similar, ready.
- Explain the method to the participants and mention the idea of quantity.
- Name a catchword and stop the time.
- The participant with the most terms should share them with the group.
- Repeat the exercise 3-5 times using different catchwords.
Hints from experience
Choose the catchwords in a way that allows easy association, e.g. nature, holiday.
- Writing utensils, pen, pencil
- Sticky notes