A proverb is a simple and short sentence, popularly known and repeated, that is based on practical experience. Wisdom coming from proverbs or common sayings are fun and inspire.
DurationMedium (about 30-60 minutes)
Group size1 to 10 persons
Quotations, proverbs and sayings get to the heart of complicated facts and human experience by summarizing them in simple phrasing. Often people find pleasure in reading them and get stimulated to think about things. Language is an inexhaustible source of creativity! Words can be reinvented, combined and be put in contrast to each other; therefore, it is language that creates creativity and creativity that creates language. If you choose the right proverbs that fit the topic of your workshop, they can help you to make associations during the inspiration phase and open your minds to new thoughts. To choose a saying and read it out loud to the group, gives the participants the opportunity to get involved in the group by opening up and reflecting their own attitudes.
- Choose a topic for the proverbs that matches with your workshop, e.g. creativity, innovation.
- Search for at least as many proverbs as there are participants.
- Print one proverb on one paper or card.
- Place all the cards with the proverbs on a table or on the floor.
- Ask the participants to read the sayings and to choose the one that appeals to them the most.
- Each participant should read their saying out lout and argue why they choose this particular one.
Hints from experience
Participants can also choose a proverb they don't like, or if enough choose several.