Quantity over Quality; let your thoughts free. Who can make as many associations as possible to a term (catchword) within a limited amount of time.
DurationShort (up to 30 minutes)
Group size3 to 30 persons
This activity is suitable online.
Catchwords attract attention and stimulate the recipient's mental processes that call for emotional reactions and associations. The catchword-method activates creative processes by generating random terms. It enables casual association and the ability to make new associations. The method uses time pressure and a playful contest between the participants, to help them overcome critical thinking and to foster their ability to make spontaneous and free associations. To do so, you name a catchword and let the participants write down as many terms as they can think of, within 30 seconds.
- Choose 3-5 catchwords that fit to the topic of the workshop.
- Make sure to have a timer, or similar, ready.
- Explain the method to the participants and mention the idea of quantity.
- Name a catchword and stop the time.
- The participant with the most terms should share them with the group.
- Repeat the exercise 3-5 times using different catchwords.
Hints from experience
Choose the catchwords in a way that allows easy association, e.g. nature, holiday.
- Sticky notes
- Writing utensils, pen, pencil
Back to list