What does the future look like? What changes will come with it? What are the new ideas and products that will come from it? Use Megatrends as an inspiration for new ideas.
DurationMedium (about 30-60 minutes)
Group size1 to 20 persons
This activity is suitable online.
Trends are used to describe changes over time. By recognizing trends, transformation processes that happen between the past and the future can be described. Megatrends are long-term trends. They characterize a change that lasts for at least half a century and that affects all layers of civilization, economy and technology. Consequently they influence the business environment, relationships and consumption and serve as a solid inspiration base for new ideas. New opportunities for a research field can be derived with the Megatrend-Method by analyzing societal and technological influence of the corresponding trend.
- Research the megatrends and choose some that fit the topic.
- Analyse or research the societal and technological influence of the respective trends.
- Visualise the trends on cards, a poster or on the computer.
Online: make sure that the trends map can clearly be seen from all participants and that there is a way to collect thoughts to the single stations on the map.
- Introduce the participants to the topic of the megatrends.
- Let them have a look at the prepared factors of influence.
- Encourage the participants to write down Ideas inspired by the trends.
- Pin or stick the ideas on a wall. Annotation by participants is possible.
Hints from experience
- Sticky notes
- Poster or cards with megatrends
- Paper and pencil
Back to list